Monday, January 6, 2014

Adventures on the Frozen Prairie

You might have heard that it's cold in these here parts.


It's been Hunker Down weather for a couple of days now, and we've been going just a little bit stir crazy. Then I saw these photos, and thus began my mission to take some frozen bubble pictures of my own.

The first obstacle was remembering that I tossed out all of the bubble solution and wands last fall. But I found a soap bubble recipe online (1/4 cup of liquid dish soap, 3/4 cup of cold water, 5 drops of glycerin). The second obstacle was having no wand, but I made one from wire.

The third obstacle was a little tougher to overcome- it's windy. Very very windy (the screenshot above low-balled the wind. We had steady 25 mph winds and gusts higher). Too windy to get any beautiful intact bubble shots, those gorgeous ones that reflect sunlight and the surrounding landscape. I did, however, go out (in my jammies...) and try the bubbles. It took 20 or 30 tries to get a bubble to float on the air, but when it did, it was magical: the bubble would float up, become frosty, and then collapse silently like a silk parachute. It was amazing to see. Definitely worth risking frozen extremities.

But it was windy. The only photo I got yesterday was this one, of a bubble that got stuck on a porch post.



Ethereal, but not exactly what I had in mind.

So when The Hub went uptown this morning (Me? I'm not goin' no place), I charged him with finding me some commercial bubbles somewhere. He came back with the only option he could find: a $5 bottle of yellow bubbles (the caution warns not to use them indoors, or at weddings... that's some powerful yellow there).

It's still too windy for floaty-bubble pictures (or videos), and far too windy for serene reflecting bubble shots (and I'll use clear solution for them), but I got some amazing pictures anyway. Bear in mind that the wind chills were at dangerous levels and that I can't wear gloves and use my phone camera at the same time. The bubbles were blown and the pictures taken all within a 3-minute window, before frostbite set in.




















You can bet that the moment the wind goes down, I'll be out there again.

4 comments:

DRAGIN' said...

Loved these. The popped yellow bubbles against the white of the snow made it look like fried eggs..

ct. said...

Except for the broken ones, they are very sea jelly-like.

Susan Stark said...

ethereal - and...jelly-fish-ish..:) Isn't it a blast?!?!!? but it i so hard to capture that magic - which is part of why it's magic.

Connie said...

I like the broken ones best. You can see the thickness of the "shell" and the shattered ones do look fairy - like.