Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Needlepoint Bonanza

My friend Ann is a needlepoint expert. Unfortunately, her eyesight is deteriorating and she can no longer see well enough to do the needlework herself. So when she learned that I was giving needlepoint a whirl, she sent me this batch of amazing books!

It's like Christmas!


At the moment, I'm fascinated with representational projects, rather than textural. But I do love the look of Bargello, and I will be able to learn a lot about technique from this book, which appears to have been published in 1977 (first edition about 5 years earlier). This book has a few color interior pages but it's mostly black and white photos and graphs.


This one might really come in handy for me, given that I almost always prefer to design my own projects. It looks to be an excellent technique book, and there are lots and lots of color pages. A little updating of the colorways is all it needs.


The colors are really vibrant in the projects in this book. It's from the same era (early '70's) and just looking at the cool designs makes me want to try some Bargello.
There's no real info from Amazon on this book, which appears to have been privately produced in 1972.
But this actual photograph is glued to the title page, and though I would change the colors, it's actually quite pretty. Working it would give me a lot of practice in general Bargello techniques. I thumbed through the book, and it was literally hand written- the pages are copies of hand written notes and instructions, and hand drawn charts- they're all written and drawn quite well, and are totally legible, but you just don't see that kind of thing much these days.

See what I mean? Her handwriting is much neater than mine.


But though the Bargello books are fascinating, and I suspect I'll eventually give it a whirl, at the moment, I am far more interested in this book, which was published later than the others, in 1993.  I love love love tapestries and I especially love Medieval tapestries.
 Right now, I'm having a lot of fun with designs drawn on the canvas, but I'm a Chart Girl from way back, and some of these designs are really intriguing. This unicorn, for example.
 And these oranges.
And these flowering vines.
But the New Me finishes one project before starting another, so it'll be awhile before I have to decide.

Thanks Ann!

8 comments:

Melissa ~ twoknitwit said...

you lucky book recipient!

I love that last book the most as well ~ beautiful pictures!

Melissa

Sophie said...

Those medieval designs are so beautiful! I've always loved those!

Your Mucha design is going to be beautiful! Keep up! I just love all the process for that one!

Nora said...

You are so much like me in the respect that I too love medieval tapestries. Maybe it's the artist in me or just the admiration of the woman or women who did them but I love the intricacy and detail that went into the pieces. I've never seen one in person (only in books and the internet), but I would love to one day. I have always wanted to take up needlepoint but never had the patients for it.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a lovely gift she shared with you. I love the books with the flowering vines!

Kathleen Taylor said...

Thanks everyone! Nora: I've seen several tapestries at Biltmore. They're beyond amazing!

Gina said...

I have the Flowers, Birds and Unicorns book from back in my needlepoint cycle. (I tend to rotate through needlepoint, knitting and quilting every few years or so.) I made several pillows from that book that still grace couches and chairs throughout my family. They all turned out beautifully - well worth the constant chart referencing and counting. Go for whatever strikes your fancy!

Nora said...

I always wanted to visit the Biltmore but haven't had the money to travel to see it. Perhaps one day though. It's on my 101 places to visit before I die list. :)

Jaime said...

Oooh I LOVE that the one book is hand written!! That kind of stuff gets me excited, especially when it is great penmanship. Are these Bargello books in color? I'm always looking for new books but I find the black and white patterns difficult to follow.