Sunday, May 6, 2012

Finished Scarf

 All done with the weaving (I wanted plenty of warp left over for the fringe).
 Pulled off the loom.
 Washed and dried (though not yet ironed). It's 70" long (excluding fringe) and 6 1/4" wide. I am very pleased with how even my selvedges are- I'm getting better at that. I love the gentle color variations.
I learned one important thing: if you're going to combine different weights in your warp thread or yarn, distribute it throughout the warp. When the outside edges are heavier, the weft doesn't pack as tightly, and therefore the lighter/finer inside section gets a little crooked. The crookedy parts aren't horrible, but I did struggle with it a bit throughout.

Even though the blue/green yarn was soft and squooshy, the finished fabric isn't as soft as I thought it was going to be, so this scarf won't be next-to-skin. It'll have to be worn over a collar or turtleneck. Or it'll be a table runner. Tables rarely have sensitive necks.

No comments: